7 Romantic Days in Sri Lanka with Travel Itinerary for Beach & Wildlife Lovers!
With the recent events surrounding the pandemic, many have realised that life is better as a pair, through lockdowns and all! So if you hear wedding bells chiming in the distance, it’s time to start planning that perfect proposal, to sweep your special someone right off their feet.
To make your Marriage Proposal Perfect in every way, here is an Ultimate Sri Lankan Proposal Itinerary, including some of the most romantic places to stay, things to do and some handy-hints from a local travel expert! So, what are you waiting for? Grab this itinerary and plan your perfect proposal in Sri Lanka!
Day 1 – Arrive in Sri Lanka
Arrive in Sri Lanka at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) and follow the latest travel protocol to make your arrival smooth and comfortable. The good news is that there are absolutely no restrictions now for arriving tourists who can produce a negative PCR test result done 72 hours before boarding their flight to Sri Lanka. For more information on arrival protocol and documents you will need click here.
We recommend that you take it easy, take a dip in the hotel pool, drink Sri Lanka’s famous ‘King Coconut’ to refresh your senses and let any weariness from your journey to Sri Lanka melt away in the balmy tropical weather.
Stay: The Wallawwa by Teardrop Hotels – “The Wallawwa is not your typical Colombo airport hotel. Set in 200-year-old tropical gardens just 15-minutes’ drive from Sri Lanka’s main international gateway, this award-winning 18-bedroom country house hotel with gourmet food, jungle pool and heavenly spa, carved out of an atmospheric 18th century manor house, exudes style and serenity. As an alternative to hotels in Negombo, The Wallawwa promises to start or end your Sri Lankan holiday in style.”
Day 2 – Take a private car or catch the train to Galle
Galle is one of Sri Lanka’s oldest coastal towns and the Galle Fort boasts an eclectic mix of beautiful dutch architecture and accommodation choices, charming cafes and restaurants offering great coffee + local and international cuisines, souvenir and jewelry shops selling exquisite sri lankan gems and jewellery as well as quaint art galleries showcasing some of the best talent on the south coast.
Stay: Take your pick from the below list of romantic hotels situated right in the heart of Galle Fort:
Amangalla Resort – “Amangalla lies within the ramparts of Galle Fort, a Unesco World Heritage Site. Offering views of the Fort and harbour on one side and the hotel’s lush gardens and swimming pool on the other, the historic residence presents lofty-ceilinged suites, elegant fine dining and a tranquil spa complex known as The Baths.”
Taru Villas Rampart Street – “Enjoy authentic Sri Lankan hospitality in a luxuriously refurbished old merchant’s bungalow. The villa in the resplendent confines of the Galle Fort is a testament to the colonial architecture that reverberates throughout the old town. Idyllically nestled on Rampart Street, with a view of the historic 17th century ramparts, it is one of the few luxury boutique hotels in Galle with a private pool. Whether you wish to stroll through the fort’s historic streets exploring museums and souvenir stores or relax in the plush lounge, Villa Guardian offers you a wealth of knowledge about the property and the colonial fortress.”
Fort Bazaar by Teardrop Hotels – “Begin your Galle quest at Fort Bazaar, a handsome merchant’s home-turned-boutique hotel with 18 stylish guestrooms and fresh, contemporary interiors invoking a Middle Eastern vibe. Positioned on Church Street within a UNESCO-listed 17th century fort, this spa hotel in Galle promises serenity, high-end service and gourmet modern dining, and makes a very welcoming retreat from the bustling cobbled streets of Galle Fort.”
Things to do in Galle Fort:
- Enjoy lunch at Pedlar’s Inn Cafe – ask to be shown their gallery & jewellry store for a unique collection of Sri Lankan art and jewelry
- Cool off with some authentic Sri Lankan Gelato at Il Gelato – we recommend the Roasted Coconut & Passion Fruit flavours
- Visit Barefoot Galley and Shop for colourful Sri Lankan souvenirs – a fantastic collection of ethical Sri Lankan handloom fashion, jewelry, souvenirs and coffee table books to remind you of Sri Lanka’s finest once you’re back home
- Visit the famous Galle Light House and take a souvenir photo
- Enjoy a sundowner at the timeless Galle Fort Hotel
- Go for a sunset walk on the ramparts of Galle Fort
- Experience a dinner with sea views at Starbeans Ocean Restaurant or enjoy soul-warming Sri Lankan comfort food at The Bungalow Restaurant
Day 3 – Travel down the coast to Talpe
Talpe is a quiet village on the southern coast about 30 minutes from Galle, offering gorgeous soft white sandy beaches, perfect for beach strolls and crystal clear emerald green sea for swimming. If spending time in the ocean is your thing, you can do a spot of surfing and snorkeling here and even go out to sea on a whale and dolphin tour. A natural coral reef provides a safe and beautiful swimming pool for you to laze away your days in this tranquil coastal village and soak up the tropical sun.
Stay :Apa Villa Talpe – “Life at Apa has always been a fulfilment of harmony. The collection of 6 beach-front suites and 1 garden suite with interconnect options available , are a perfect match to the naturally beautiful surroundings. To help preserve the Island they have worked to protect the natural environment and ensure all guests a feeling of privacy and calm. The menu at Apa Villa is of the highest standard and your personal butler will serve you to your suite for the ultimate dining experience. From the heartfelt service, to the hammocks on the palm trees, to the ingredients in our dishes, to the artwork on the walls and the pillows on your bed – these details are what makes Apa Villa special.”
Things to do in Talpe:
- Learn to create a gastronomic Sri Lankan masterpiece at a fun Sri Lankan cooking class
- Visit some of the antique shops along the coastal Talpe roads for some unique pieces to take back home
- Go on a guided and responsible Whale & Dolphin watching tour
- Take a sunset walk on Dalawella Beach and swing from the famous coconut tree swing
- Wind down with a beer or a cocktail at famous Wijaya Beach for stunning views, awesome atmosphere and great pizzas
Day 4 – Visit Mawella, one of Sri Lanka’s most tranquil bays and the perfect place for a romantic proposal!
Famous for its tranquility and picturesque beauty, Mawella beach is one of Sri Lanka’s hidden gems. The unspoiled stretch of golden fine sandy beach, encapsulated in a small bay fringed by swaying palm trees makes this the perfect romantic hideaway.
Stay: Choose from one of the below beautifully designed villas with sea-views
- Taru Villas Mawella Beach – “Surrender to the best of island living with Taru Villas Mawella, as you leave the hustle of the city behind. Embrace the warmth of the sun on your skin while you lounge on a hammock or day bed, set on the sprawling lawn bordered by coconut trees, with a refreshing cocktail in hand. Take a step back and enjoy a slow-paced holiday where time stands still, as the ocean breeze gently lulls you to a tropical daydream. This luxury boutique villa in Mawella promises an intimate holiday in paradise with exclusive facilities designed to celebrate privacy while you relax in a colonial setting. Choose to stay in the four-bedroom main house, sheltered Pool House or the completely private Kurumba House with its own service team.”
- The Last House by Manor House Concepts – “It’s beach and chic at the final example of Asia’s famous architect Geoffrey Bawa. This iconic five-bedroomed seaside escape enjoys space, ventilation and barefoot luxury in a private location.Décor throughout the property is largely a mix of fresh white walls and grey polished cement floors, serving as a backdrop to a mixture of antique and contemporary furniture, art and fabrics for a contemporary, colorful and cool design.”
Things to do in Mawella:
- Enjoy sunrise and sunset walks on the beach
- Go for a surf at Hiriketiya beach (only 5 mins away)
- Plan the perfect proposal with the help of the hotel staff at your chosen place of accommodation!
- Take it easy and enjoy your time together!
Day 5 & 6 – Make your way to Sri Lanka’s premier Wildlife Park, Yala.
Spend the last 2 nights of your romantic getaway in Sri Lanka, celebrating your engagement and indulging at one of Sri Lanka’s most luxurious hotels. Get pampered at the inhouse spa, indulge in world-class cuisine and service and enjoy a taste of the Sri Lankan wilderness, on a guided luxury tour of Yala National Park.
Stay: Wild Coast Tented Lodge – “Wild Coast Tented Lodge is adjacent to Yala National Park, renowned for its leopard population. This spectacular luxury tented camp is situated on a rugged, empty beach, overlooking the Indian Ocean. The unique design sees the man-made structures blending seamlessly into the surrounding landscape, thanks to the use of carefully selected natural materials. The use of arched fabric structures allows each of the 28 tents to take on the shape and color of the rocks and boulders that lay scattered nearby, whilst a clever layout in the shape of a leopard’s paw print alludes to the area’s most famous resident. The open-air bamboo-clad Ten Tuskers bar and Dining Pavilion – designed to mirror the boulders scattered across the golden beach beyond – wrap around the resort’s enormous free-form swimming pool. Guests can enjoy creative daily-changing menus of authentic Sri Lankan cuisine in the restaurant, as well as sundowner cocktails and picnics al fresco on the sand dunes, watching dusk settle over the Indian Ocean.”
Things to do:
- Go on a wildlife adventure of a lifetime at Yala National Park! With any luck you will spot Elephants and Leopards as well as Sloth Bears and more!
- Pamper yourself with a couple’s massage at the inhouse spa
- Visit to Jungle Monastery of Sithulpawwa
- Indulge, indulge, indulge!
Day 7 – Soak in the final rays of island bliss and get ready to depart
Don’t waste your time on the road, catch a domestic flight from Yala to Colombo with Cinnamon Air and finish off your 7 days of romance on a high note!
Useful services & contact details:
List of ‘Certified Safe’ Tourist Attractions
List of Approved Drivers & Chauffeur Services
Live COVID-19 Stats from Sri Lanka
Current Sri Lanka Vaccination Stats
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?